Monday, April 26, 2010

In the dark....

I know that describes me mentally....but this "in the dark" was for real!!! It was a dreary day which included wind and lots of clouds and just as I arrived at Kohls (to check out the deals) the heavy clouds let go of their heavy load and it began to pour...big, round drops of cool rain. I sat in my car contemplating how I was going to run as fast as I could (ha ha ha ha) and jump (ha ha ha ha) over big puddles to get into the store. As I was running IN a man was running OUT and loudly exclaimed that it was pitch black in there and they weren't letting people in. So, I ran back to my car. I decided that I would go to Albertsons as I had a list of groceries that I really needed to get so as to keep the hungry bears in my house happy (mostly me...). So I toodled over there only to discover that it was dark there too. The rain had slowed to a steady sprinkle so I ran to the front doors where people were gathered to ask if I could still shop. To my amazement, the friendly worker said "yes, come on in and shop'. That was a little weird...I kinda felt like I was being invited into a haunted house. The back up generators had kicked in so it wasn't "pitch black" but it was definitely dark.
I grabbed a cart ( a wet cart I might add) and off I went. It was eerie. You know how it is on a normal day at the grocery store...music just loud enough to help you dance around the store with your cart throwing things in there you might not otherwise buy. Well today...no music...it was very silent. Even the people that were shopping were quiet. And it was dark. I kept looking over my shoulder...I'm not even sure why...it just made me feel better. I got to the corner where the milk is located and I couldn't even see the expiration date..I had to pull out my phone and allow it's ever glowing-ness to check for me. I was almost done when I heard a roar and a thump and then the lights came back on. Clapping could be heard throughout the store. The music turned on and I danced around with my cart and got a few more things that I am sure I didn't need.

No comments:

Post a Comment