Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Lessons from a pine tree (or two)


As I drive around the city and even as I sit in my backyard I am reminded of why it is that we need to have trials. I don't like them, but I do know they have great importance in our lives.

After the storm of the century that hit in February, our city has not been the same. We have lost many pine trees and many more palm trees. The palm trees I can give a pass to. They are used to warm weather, but the pines? Don't they grow best in cold places? Aren't they used to that kind of weather. Of course they are. But because the pine trees live here, they have been so used to calm, warm weather, and they have become "whimpy".

Just like we do.

Our strength comes from being tested and tried. Our strength comes from walking INTO the wind, not away from it. Our strength comes from standing firm while opposing forces try and push us around.

Notice the sad pine tree and palm trees in my neighborhood?


2 comments:

  1. We all grow so much when we have trials...it helps other to grow as well b/c you can share experiences (whether you share them or not) with them and they are lifted & feel better. Good though Jenn! :0) I always thank Heavenly Father for the things (trials, etc) I go throw so that I am more of a better person who has the faith to rely on.

    ReplyDelete