Monday, May 9, 2011

Something I learned from Ernie and Bert...

You know?! Sesame Street! Ernie and Bert are 2 very opposite people. But they are pals. They sing a song on Sesame Street that, this week, struck my very core. It is called "I LIKE YOU". Here is the scenario: They are laying in bed and Ernie asks Bert if he ever thinks about things that he likes and Bert replies, "yes I do, but not now because I am going to sleep." Then Ernie asks Bert to tell him some things he likes. Bert tells him a few and Ernie sings back, "I really don't care for any of those things, but I like you..". And the song goes on about how they have very little in common but they still like each other.

Sometimes I get discouraged because Leon and I are also two very opposite people. It can make life and little hard to navigate sometimes. I am Ernie, Leon is Bert. I like to play jokes, Leon does not. Leon likes sports, I do not. I like to talk about silly and unimportant things. Leon likes to analyze topics. I find that most things in life have a funny side. Leon is more serious and somber. I like quiet and peace. Leon likes loud and boisterous.

Even though we are very different, we are trying to find ways to meet in the middle and still be pals while we work on our relationship. Some days are better than others. And when a days comes where we have forgotten where the "middle" is, that is when we sing the '' I LIKE YOU" song to each other. It puts everything back in to perspective.

I am Ernie. Leon is Bert. We like each other.

1 comment:

  1. That's cute; I've never seen that one and I liked how you told the story! And the best part is, that it has a good moral! Glad you and dad like each other after all these years! I like you guys!

    ReplyDelete