Saturday, June 11, 2011

Lucy and I

I scored myself a pretty sweet little job. And it is sweet in more ways than one. I only work 2 days a week, Tues and Fri. each day for 2 hours!!

I work for an OLDer lady named Lucy, she won't disclose her age but says she is an octogenarian, so, somewhere in her 80's. If I were to guess I would say 85 or so. And she is a real sweetie!

Lucy is very well known in this community. She is a concert pianist, specializing in Chopin. She and her husband organized the Chopin festivals here for many years. She still gives concerts all over the city. Her sweet companion passed away 3 years ago and I have the privilege of hearing all about their relationship and what a "saint" he was.

Normally, I clean for her. Light cleaning. But Friday was not an ordinary day for Lucy and I. When I arrived at 9 a.m. she was dressed and ready to go. We went grocery shopping and gassed up her car. (I even have my own key to her car, she showed me where it is stored). I didn't have time to do anything with her house that day except run a quick vacuum over her most used room. She was most happy that I went with her to the store. I have a feeling it will become a regular activity for us.

While we were at the grocery store, the man in the produce aisle was very helpful to us and very friendly. She commented as we walked away from him how he was a nice guy!

At the gas station, a man who was gassing up next to us was chatting with me. I got back in the car and Lucy said "flirting with the men I see". I was a little mortified at first, and then I giggled. I told her about how Leon calls me the "giant ear" because everyone talks to me. I talk to everyone, too! I like people.

She made me sad when she replied that no one talks to her. It reminded me that today our society suffers with a real problem...ageism. We do not respect the elderly anymore. They are thought of as burdensome, a drag on our system, a menace on our roads, a life already lived. What we tend to forget is that they have had years of experiences that have shaped their characters, no matter how that character happens to be. They are wise . I am sure that they look at the younger generation and sometimes cringe. How things have changed.

Next week she wants me to drive her car to the East side for service. I have a feeling that her house isn't going to get much of a cleaning!

I am enjoying Lucy and our time together! She plays the piano while I am there and I love to work while doubling as her audience!

Sweet, don't ya think?

1 comment:

  1. How cute! I know you've told me a lot about her already but she sounds like a sweetie : ) And tell her not to feel bad- no one talks to me either! Ha! Aaaand I even cringe when I look at the younger generation. Tattoos, gaged ears, piercings in absurd places, disrespect, lack of motivation...how sad.

    ReplyDelete