Monday, January 11, 2016

September 4, 2015...Heaven gained a son

 September 4, 2015.  I was out in the front yard laying sod down with Leon.  I had taken a break to come inside and call my Mom to check on her and Dad.  There was no answer. I didn't think much of it as sometimes she is otherwise occupied taking care of things for Dad.

About and 1 1/2 hours later my cell phone rang.   I thought that she had noticed that I had tried to reach her and she was returning the call.  I answered the phone and on the other end, in a quiet, but peaceful voice, she said to me "Jenn, I think your Dad is gone."  

I remember feeling weak in my knees and short of breath and crying to her "no, no, Mom, he is not gone, he can't be gone, not yet."  

My Mom had spent many years in the service of my Dad and she was the best nurse, cook, cleaner and bed maker there ever was!  We always laughed and told her she earned her Ph D in nursing, taking care of Dad all those years!  He had had a stroke about 25 years earlier which started a major decline in his health, although slow.  

I think of how my Dad silently taught me many things:   Respect my elders.  Never judge someone by their "covers".  Never, ever be late.  Don't be idle.  Be strong and independent.  Don't talk bad about anyone. To put on panty hose, scrunch up the whole leg in your hand and start at the toes! 
He also taught me lessons that weren't so silent.  Stay at the table until everyone is done eating, then ASK to be excused.  Do not burp, or toot or blow your nose at the table while others are eating.  You will have 15 minutes on the phone and then you will be done!

Dad lived so many years in a broken body, but he never let it break his spirit.  He tried his hardest to be happy and pleasant, although some days he just couldn't do it, so instead, he would stay in bed.

Although his passing was more peaceful than we could have imagined or asked for, it is still hard to think that my Dad is gone.  Some days it just hurts.  I want so badly to call him on the phone and hear him say "what, honey, I couldn't hear you."!!  And I would repeat 3 more times!!!

I am so grateful that he is no longer confined to a bent, and worn out body.  How beautiful to know that he is free and able!  What a blessing!  I love you Dad and I miss you more than words!  Until we meet again!

Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment